Thursday, January 10, 2013

Winter Blahs. . . and Washington on the Pamlico

You probably know how I feel -

I get up in the morning and it is dark.  On the way home it is dark!  Christmas is over and January seems looonnng.  So, last night when Mike asked me if I wanted to drive over to his company in Washington, NC I said "Yes!"  He wanted to hurry on back home but I didn't.  Of course, Washington seems to "roll up its sidewalks at dark" so there is not much to do - or, so - I thought!

Anyway, I said let's drive down Main and then Water Streets.  I love the waterfront in Washington - it is beautiful!  Especially the last few years - since they made the street wider and added the Estuarian.  When I was in my teens and lived across the river in Chocowinity, we loved to go to the waterfront!  About the same time, Washington started its Summer Festival.  Also, Mike and I prefer going to 4th of July festivities in Washington instead of Greenville.


However, I was surprised last night as we drove down Water Street and passed the waterfront.  Lots of big boats were docked there.  Also, a couple of gazebos had been added near the Estuarian.  I had known the plan to add condos where Moss Planing Mill had been located - but had not seen the results.  A new coffee shop has even been added near these buildings.

We had, also, heard that there was a great, new restaurant uptown.  It must be doing well - as the parking lot behind it was packed!  Plus, folks were walking around - it seemed there was a lot going on!

What a surprise - the waterfront that was onced banned to us naughty teenagers is now thriving. 

I was glad that I took the little drive with Mike last night to Washington. . .  A good remedy for the winter blahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment